Many consider Al Mahrt one of the greatest athletes Dayton has ever produced. Mahrt played baseball and football at St. Mary’s Institute, which is now the University of Dayton. He was there from 1909-1912. He was the catcher for the baseball team and the quarterback on the football team. Mahrt was the captain of the football team in the 1911 and 1912 seasons. He served in WW1 in 1918 for two years.
After his time at UD he played for the Dayton Triangles, again in the quarterback position. He was also the captain for that team. The Dayton Triangles was part of the AFPA (American Football Professional Association) before the NFL began. In 1920 he led the AFPA in passing yards and completions, completing 28 passes for 591 yards. He was also elected to the All-Pro Second team that year. The following year he was second in the league for passing yards and completions, again completing 28 passes for 452 yards. He retired from the Triangles in 1922.
Early on, Mahrt worked at Dayton Brewing Co, Dayton Metal Products, and Smart Co. He then worked with Mead Corporation for nearly 30 years before retiring in 1959. When he retired he was the Vice President of the corporation.
He was inducted into the UD Hall of Fame in 1962. Mahrt passed away in 1970 at the age of 77.
You can visit Mahrt’s gravesite located in section 29, Lot 38.
Information compiled from:
UD Sports Information Director
Dayton Daily News