As German, Irish, Polish, Hungarian, Italian and Lithuanian immigrants flooded into the Miami Valley during the 1840’s, Dayton’s Catholic community swelled and spilled over into the surrounding neighborhoods, creating new parishes and more need for burial ground. The epidemics that came with the 1850’s and the tragic deaths of so many in the Civil War in the 1860’s filled St. Henry’s remaining space. Now landlocked by a city grown up around it, St. Henry’s had no room to expand. The population continued to grow and finally in 1872, Calvary Cemetery was established on 100 acres of southern countryside, adding 100 more in later years. Calvary Cemetery was ideally located at the highest vantage point of the city and adjacent to the canal which was Dayton’s main thoroughfare at that time. (The canal is now South Dixie Boulevard).